You ain’t never seen Thai food like this before.
Son in Law Thai serve up modern Thai dishes in Collingwood, a trendy inner suburb of Melbourne. It’s more of a dinner venue than a brekkie joint but, should you roll out of bed after 12 on a Friday or Saturday, you can cruise in there for a lunch time feed.
The story behind the name is a goodie. According to Thai folklore, mothers in law serve their daughter’s partner deep fried eggs with a spicy sauce (known as son in law eggs) to let him know that, should he mistreat her daughter, his bits may be on the line. Watch out boys!
Son in Law has a similar cheeky attitude. Serving up some traditional dishes like pad Thai, as well as super quirky desserts and fairy floss laden drinks.
On our most recent visit there we enjoyed;
- Fairy floss with soft drink
- A house made chocolate magic ball with crepe cake (FYI there are three flavour options: Thai milk tea, coconut pandan, and Nutella)
- Sizzling fresh mango with sticky rice
- Stir fried crispy pork belly with Thai basil (part of their current lunch deal – $14 from 12 – 4:30pm on a Friday – Saturday)
- Tom Yum fried rice with onion, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves
+ a snap of their deep fried chicken, iced Milo and Tom Yum soup because #YUM!
Follow them on the gram at @soninlaw_melb